Monday 17 November 2008

Tour of The Black Sheep Brewery

Photos:
1. Casking process
2. Casking process
3. Fermenting
4. Fermenting
5. Mash tun and Copper
(all images downloaded from www.flickr.com)

Here are some images from a tour around The Black Sheep Brewery in Masham, Yorkshire. I would have liked to take pictures myself, but these are sadly banned on the tour. However, they do describe the history of the brewery and the brewing process itself. I think the older part of the brewery (image 5. is clearly the most exciting architecturally, with the sculptural forms of the equipment dominating the space.
I fully recommend the Black Sheep Best Bitter.


3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Remind me, what was the building used for before it became Black Sheep? I think it used to be a...brewery, but i'm not sure. The room in picture 5 definately has a better feel to it than the sterilised ambience of the other processing rooms; however, this is necessary to meet H&S regs I guess.

Tom Potter said...

The building used to be Ironson's malting house, so yes it was originally a brewery. Theakstons bought their rival out (because they had a better cricket team, apparently) but closed down the plant.

I agree that it is a far more atmospheric space, and the equipment in there is still in use so it must still comply with H&S standards. I don't want my project to end up looking like a boring factory when you can have spaces like this. Tall spaces are great for brewing because you can use gravity to move the wort between the mash tun and the copper.