Thursday 13 November 2008

Site 5 : The Dark Arches

Photos:
1. Aerial photograph (Google Earth)
2. Bird's Eye view looking North (www.live.com)
3. Bird's Eye view looking East (
www.live.com)
4. Bird's Eye view looking South (www.live.com)
5. Bird's Eye view looking West (www.live.com)

The final site on my shortlist is this, a patch of dusty carpark on the banks of the canal and next to the railway station. Admittedly, it's not as quick as it looks to walk to the station (it's on the wrong side) but it's only a few minutes.

I've known about this site for a little while because we based a project here in our 3rd year undergraduate (2006). It has vehicular access over the little bridge to the West (see the top aerial photograph), together with good canal and pedestrian access.

The Dark Arches provide a good backdrop, although the site is a little out of the way from the busy centre.

UPDATE: I have now been informed by two independent sources that this site is home to a multistorey carpark... perhaps my research should have stretched to a new site visit. Thanks for nothing Google Earth! However, for the purposes of this project I think the site is still valid. A little imagination never hurt anyone.

4 comments:

artridley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
artridley said...

Hasn't this site now been built on? I thought that there were a bunch of new builds going up there? Haven't been down to the dark arches since I worked there (and that was 2 jobs before the MSc!)...

Dan Ridley said...

With a name like Dark Arches I'm sure this monastery would make a great "Dark Arches Doppelbock". I suppose you care more about the building that the beer but appart from possible the island this is my favorite.

james said...

Tom,

i think the island site would be the most interesting site.

I dont know whether you are putting a shop in but this is a heineken shop that has just be designed.


http://www.tjep.com/things/heinekenthecity/index.html